Workshop with Regis Brodie

The brown bowl was worth $15,000!
What a great day I had Friday Oct. 8th with my fellow art educators at the "Japanese tea" workshop given by Artist/Teacher Regis Brodie! I just had to share a few pictures from the day. I can't wait to teach my students the lesson we did. They always LOVE clay projects anyway, and I know this one will be very exciting!

  • You begin by making a basic pinch pot...


Find the center of the pot by spinning it and using a needle tool...


  • Roll out a coil and add to the bottom for the foot...


  • Join the foot to the bowl with scoring and pinching the two parts together.
  • Flip your bowl over and spin it to trim to top or "lip" of the cup. (This makes it better to drink from...)
  • Then use stamps, paddles, or other tools to decorate! 


We learned a lot from Regis about the actual ceremony done to serve and drink the tea. It is very special to the Japanese culture, and has been around for thousands of years.
I really enjoyed the day, and am so glad I got to participate in this workshop!



Comments

Popular Posts